Lemon Carrageen Moss Mousse
8g Carrageen Moss 1 Teaspoon Vanilla Extract
700ml Milk 2 Eggs Separated
2 Tablespoons Sugar Zest of 3 Lemons
1. Soak Carrageen in lukewarm water for 15 minutes. Drain and place Carrageen in saucepan with milk, 1 tablespoon of the sugar, lemon rind and vanilla extract. Bring to the boil, reduce and simmer for 30 minutes.
2. Strain the liquid through a sieve into a bowl, making sure to push the natural gelling material from the Carrageen moss through the sieve.
3. Put the egg yolks in a bowl and beat in the remaining 1 tablespoon of sugar. Whisk in the strained milk mixture.
4. Whisk the egg whites to form stiff peaks. Fold into mixture using a metal spoon. Use a figure of eight movement to get rid of any blobs of egg white.
5. Place in a bowl or 6 individual pots and chill in fridge for about 1 hour until set. Serve decorated with sprigs of Carrageen Moss.
If you wish, you can substitute the Lemon for Chocolate or Baileys. (See attached video above)
Locally harvested Carrageen Moss from the pristine waters of the west coast of Ireland can be purchased here.